Flood zones are geographic areas that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has defined according to varying levels of flood risk. You can view the latest Flood Maps for Owensboro and Daviess County by going to www.FEMA.gov or calling 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627)
Flood insurance is available to homeowners, renters, condo owners/renters, and commercial owners/renters. Costs vary depending on how much insurance is purchased, what it covers and the property’s flood risk. Typically, there’s a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase before your policy goes into effect. The National Flood Insurance Program makes Federally backed flood insurance available to homeowners, renters, and business owners.
According to FEMA, “Whether you are in a high risk zone or not, you may need flood insurance because most homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flood damage. If you live in an area with low or moderate flood risk, you are 5 times more likely to experience flood than a fire in your home over the next 30 years.” Be sure to talk with your insurance agent, to ensure you are protected.
The following information is from the website http://water.ky.gov/floodplain/Pages/MapModernization.aspx
Flood Maps for your community should be available for review at your local community map repository site. Typically, this is your county courthouse, city hall, local planning, zoning or engineering office. you can also view maps online at www.FEMA.gov
Flood maps provide valuable information about flood hazards, including the following:
- Physical features, such as major highways, secondary roads, lakes, railroads, streams and other waterways.
- Floodplain areas (special flood hazard areas).
- Base (1 percent annual chance) flood elevations or depths.
- Flood insurance risk zones.
- Areas subject to inundation by the 0.2 percent annual chance flood.
- Areas designated as regulatory floodways.
Check with your local and state government officials for regulatory requirements when planning any development projects in floodplain areas. For more information about stream construction permits, visit the Kentucky Division of Water Floodplain Construction Web site.
Flood maps designate zones where flooding is likely to occur.
- Zone AE – areas that will be inundated by the 1-percent-annual-chance flood where base flood elevations (1-percent-annual-chance flood elevations) have been determined. These zones are generally found on major flooding sources and in areas with high development potential.
- Zone A – areas that will be inundated by the 1-percent-annual-chance flood where no base flood elevations (1-percent-annual-chance flood elevations) have been determined.
- Zone X (0.2-percent-annual-chance floodplain) – areas that will be inundated by the 0.2-percent-annual-chance (500-year) flood. These areas are only associated with Zone AE. While not a regulatory standard, large floods often occur and require the designation of the 0.2-percent-annual-chance floodplain.
- Zone X refers to areas outside the 1-percent- and 0.2-percent-annual-chance floodplain. Flood insurance will most likely no be required. Of Note: Maps and information is subject to change. Please verify all information with your insurance agent.
Owensboro-Daviess County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and the Community Rating System (CRS), which is part of NFIP. Property owners in Daviess County currently receive a 10% reduction in flood insurance premiums due to participation in CRS, which is a combined effort of Daviess County EMA, OMPC, GIS and city/county government. Mortgage holders require flood insurance if your property is located in a flood prone area as determined by FEMA flood maps. These maps are available on line (see link below), at the EMA office or at Planning and Zoning offices. Note: Flood insurance takes effect 30 days after your policy is issued.
Community: Daviess County, KY and City of Owensboro, KY
Tony Clark Realtors is Owensboro Kentucky’s trusted real estate advisers, serving Western Kentucky since 1976. When buying and selling the real estate investment you call home, we would be honored to be your guide.
Tony Clark Realtors | 2934 Frederica Street Owensboro, Kentucky | (270) 683-SOLD