- Clean house! The first rule of moving is to rid of unnecessary clutter before you go. That way, you won’t have to find a place for those rarely-used items when you get to your new home. Host a garage sale or donate goods to a local charity.
- Get organized. Two months before your move, keep track of all your mail and make a list of people, subscriptions, and organizations that should be notified. Contact the postal service to change your address. Don’t forget about your bank, your insurance agent, your doctor and your vet.
- Cancel and re-order. Make another list that includes utilities such as telephone, gas, electric, water, cable and Internet access. Remember to contact your pest control, lawn care, window cleaning and other services to let them know about your move. Proper planning insures that you won’t be paying for services you’re not using!
- Be “mover friendly”. If you’re using a professional moving company, make yourself available to answer questions on both ends of the move loading and unloading. Review the home inventory paperwork and make sure the driver has your contact information and details of your delivery.
- Be safe. Whether you’re hiring professionals or doing it yourself, remove rugs, low hanging items and tripping hazards. Keep walkways clear. Arrange for someone to take care of your children and pets while everything is being packed and loaded onto the moving truck.
- Know what you’re packing. Label boxes in detail, including contents and the room in which they belong. This will save time and questions for you and your movers. Pack essentials like a change of clothes, snacks, the coffee maker and take them with you.
- Know what NOT to pack. Charcoal lighter fluid, pesticides and paint thinner are a few of the items that professional moving companies won’t touch. Make arrangements to transport these items or leave them with a neighbor. Valuables such as cash, jewelry and important documents should stay with you or shipped via traceable shipping service.
- Check and double check. Before the moving van leaves, make sure everything is loaded or unloaded, for both ends of your move. Check the attic, basement, closets, and garage for things you may have forgotten. If something is damaged during the move, notify your moving company immediately and take photographs of the damaged item.
- Keep smiling! Moving can be manageable, with the right attitude & thoughtful preparation. It will all be over soon: you’ll have days or weeks to unpack. Get out and meet your new neighbors!
Tony Clark Realtors believes every family should feel confident when buying and selling a home. Our experienced team are responsive and we are ready to be your trusted real estate adviser. Since 1976, we are the Owensboro Kentucky market expert.
Tony Clark Realtors | 2934 Frederica Street Owensboro, Kentucky | (270) 683-SOLD