Getting ready to move?
Whether you’re preparing to buy or rent a new home, you’ll need to let people know your new address. Here’s a checklist for who to notify when you move:
- The United State Postal Service. Log on to moversguide.usps.com or go to your local branch to fill out a change of address form and arrange for mail forwarding.
- The IRS & Government agencies. If you have benefits from Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, or any other government program, make sure you notify them of your move. Print out and mail in the IRS’ Change of Address form.
- The Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Your Employer
- Utility companies. Arrange for service at your new address, and schedule shut-off at your old address for the end of the moving day, so you’ll still be able to turn on the lights and use the bathroom while you’re working.
- Your bank and credit card companies. You’ll want easy access to your checking account on moving day, and you’ll also need to update online banks, retirement funds, and investment accounts.
- Your insurance providers. Health insurance. Car insurance. Home or renters’ insurance. Ask if they cover your possessions during transport, especially if you’re moving valuables or electronics in your own vehicle.
- Your doctor. Get referrals to physicians in your new area, and have your medical files transferred.
- Phone company, cable, and internet. Discontinue service at your old location and schedule new service.
- Cell phone provider
- Magazine subscriptions
- Clubs or organizations
- Don’t forget about store cards and loyalty programs!
- Family and friends
- And don’t forget to contact me for all your buying and selling needs!
Tony Clark Realtors®, LLC represents home buyers, home sellers, and property owners since 1976. We are trusted by many property owners to manage their rental properties, having one of the largest portfolios of rental properties available in the area. When you choose Tony Clark Realtors® for your real estate needs, you can have peace of mind as to the high value and quality of service you’ll receive.